Sigmund Freuda neurologist by profession, was the pioneer and father of psychoanalysis, which in the 21st century we loosely call therapy.
Freud not only did he develop therapeutic processes to relieve patients of mental stress and traumas in their minds, but he also discovered the transference process, which is vital when it comes to psychoanalysis. He is also famous for his countless valuable theories, such as the Oedipus complexthe Electra Complex and his theory about religion, how it works and how our psyche is shaped by religion, and other theories that have had a huge impact on the world.
He also believed that unexpressed emotions will never completely disappear, emotions will never die, they are always alive and will come to light later in uglier forms by the human mind and we will understand it one day in hindsight.
And as always at Inspiraame we like to share the best phrases of psychologists in history, we share with you the Best Phrases of Sigmund Freud, the father of psychoanalysis.
| We recommend: Review the inspiring phrases we have from ancient Greek philosophers
Love quotes from Sigmund Freud and other theories of the psychoanalyst
- “Just as no one can be forced to believe, neither can anyone be forced not to believe” –Sigmund Freud.
- “One day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will seem to you the most beautiful” –Sigmund Freud.
- “The great question that has never been answered, and that I have not yet been able to answer, despite my thirty years of research on the female soul, is “What does a woman want?” –Sigmund Freud.
- “He who has eyes to see and ears to hear can convince himself that no mortal can keep a secret. If his lips are silent, he chatters with his fingertips; betrayal oozes from every pore.” –Sigmund Freud.
- “The intention that man be happy is not in the plan of Creation.” –Sigmund Freud
- “We are never so defenseless in the face of suffering as when we love” –Sigmund Freud.
- “I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for protection from a father” –Sigmund Freud.
- “Being totally honest with oneself is a good exercise” –Sigmund Freud.
- “We are never so defenseless in the face of suffering as when we love” –Sigmund Freud.
- “Where does a thought go when it is forgotten?”Sigmund Freud.
- “A woman should soften, but not weaken a man” –Sigmund Freud.
- “Experience teaches us that the world is not a nursery.” – Sigmund Freud.
- “Future epochs will bring about other great advances in this realm of culture, probably inconceivable now, and will further increase the resemblance of man to a god” –Sigmund Freud.
- “It is impossible to escape the impression that people commonly use false standards of measurement…”-Sigmund Freud.
- “Words have magical power. They can bring the greatest happiness or the deepest despair” –Sigmund Freud.
- “It is that we are never so helpless in the face of suffering as when we love, we are never so helplessly unhappy as when we have lost our loved object or his love.”-Sigmund Freud.
- “Religion is an attempt to gain control over the sensory world, in which we are situated, through the world of desires, which we have developed within us as a result of biological and psychological needs” –Sigmund Freud.
- “He who does not live according to his belief does not believe” –Sigmund Freud.
- “When making a minor decision, I have always found it advantageous to consider all the pros and cons” -Sigmund Freud.
- “Wherever I go I find that a poet has been there before me” -Sigmund Freud.
- “Religion is a system of desired illusions coupled with a denial of reality” –Sigmund Freud.
- “Life, as we find it, is too hard for us; brings us too many pains, disappointments and impossible tasks” –Sigmund Freud.
- “In the bottom of my heart, I cannot help but be convinced that my dear companions, with a few exceptions, are worthless.” – Sigmund Freud.
- “Neurotics complain about their illness, but they make the most of it, and when it comes to getting rid of it, they will defend it like a lioness defends her young.”Sigmund Freud.
- “Words are capable of arousing the strongest emotions and driving all men’s actions.” – Sigmund Freud.
| We recommend: Do not forget to take a look at the great collection of love phrases that we have for you.
Sigmund Freud quotes about psychoanalysis and the ego
- “The ego is not master in its own house” –Sigmund Freud.
- “The voice of the intellect is soft, but it does not rest until it has gained an audience” -Sigmund Freud.
- “The ego refuses to be anguished by the provocations of reality, to allow itself to be forced to suffer” –Sigmund Freud.
- “The pleasure of satisfying a wild instinct, not tamed by the ego, is incomparably much more intense than that of satisfying a tamed instinct” –Sigmund Freud.
- “Where the id was, there will be the ego” –Sigmund Freud.
- “In grief, it is the world that has become poor and empty; in melancholy, it is the self” –Sigmund Freud.
- “You could compare the relationship of the self with the id to that between a rider and his horse” –Sigmund Freud.
- “It is easy to see that the ego is the part of the id that has been modified by the direct influence of the external world” –Sigmund Freud.
- “Any normal person, in fact, is only averagely normal. His ego approximates that of the psychotic in one part or another and to a greater or lesser extent” –Sigmund Freud.
- “The analysis does not intend to make pathological reactions impossible, but to give the patient’s ego freedom to decide one way or another” –Sigmund Freud.
- “Children are completely selfish; they feel their needs intensely and strive ruthlessly to satisfy them” –Sigmund Freud.
- “The functional importance of the ego is manifested in the fact that normally control over motility approaches rests with it” –Sigmund Freud.
- “Outwards, if anything, the self seems to maintain clear and sharp lines of demarcation.” – Sigmund Freud.
- “The poor ego has it even harder; he has to serve three harsh masters, and he has to do his best to reconcile the claims and demands of all three.” – Sigmund Freud.
- “At the height of being in love, the border between the ego and the object threatens to melt.” – Sigmund Freud.
- “What is repressed also merges into the ego, and is only a part of it.” – Sigmund Freud.
- “Originally the ego includes everything, later it detaches from itself the external world.” – Sigmund Freud.
- “There is no doubt that the resistance of the conscious and unconscious ego operates under the control of the pleasure principle.” – Sigmund Freud.
|We recommend: Motivate yourself with the phrases that challenge you to have a better life and fulfill your dreams
Quotes about dreams by Sigmund Freud
- “Everyone has desires that they would not like to tell others, that they do not want to admit even to themselves” – Sigmund Freud.
- “The virtuous man is content to dream what the wicked man does in real life.” – Sigmund Freud.
- “We are what we are because we have been what we have been.” – Sigmund Freud.
- “Dreams can be stated thus: They are hidden fulfillments of repressed desires.” – Sigmund Freud.
- “Dreams with painful content should be analyzed as wish fulfillment.” – Sigmund Freud.
- “The distortion of dreams, then, is actually an act of the censor.” – Sigmund Freud.
- “The ideas so far produced are insufficient for the interpretation of the dream.” – Sigmund Freud.
- “Sleep is a kind of substitution for those emotional and intellectual trains of thought.” – Sigmund Freud.
- “Dreams tell us a lot of unpleasant biological truths about ourselves, and only very free minds can thrive on such a diet.” – Sigmund Freud.
- “Self-deception is a plant that quickly withers in the pellucid atmosphere of dream research.” – Sigmund Freud.
| We recommend: Be sure to read the phrases of Carl Jung, the father of modern psychology
Famous phrases of Sigmund Freud
- “Being totally honest with yourself is a good exercise.” – Sigmund Freud.
- “If the youth knew; if age could. – Sigmund Freud.
- “Love and work are the cornerstones of our humanity.” – Sigmund Freud.
- “The scope of one’s own personality is defined by the magnitude of that problem that is capable of driving a person out of their boxes.” – Sigmund Freud.
- “Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure you’re not surrounded by fools.” – Sigmund Freud.
- “When inspiration doesn’t come to me, I go halfway to find it.” – Sigmund Freud.
- “Love and work… work and love, is all there is.” – Sigmund Freud.
- “Unexpressed emotions will never die. They are buried alive and will come out later in uglier ways.” – Sigmund Freud.
- “From your vulnerabilities will come your strength.” – Sigmund Freud.
- “Immorality, no less than morality, has at all times found support in religion.” – Sigmund Freud.
- “In small matters trust in the mind, in great matters in the heart.” – Sigmund Freud.
- “A certain degree of neurosis is of inestimable value as a drive, especially for a psychologist.” – Sigmund Freud.
- “The madman is a daydreamer.” – Sigmund Freud.
| We recommend: Get inspired by the phrases of Marcus Aurelius Roman emperor and philosopher
Shocking phrases of Sigmund Freud
- “I have found little that is ‘good’ in the human being in general.” – Sigmund Freud.
- “Friendship is an art of keeping distance while love is an art of intimacy.” – Sigmund Freud.
- “A civilization that leaves such a large number of its participants dissatisfied and drives them into revolt does not have and does not deserve the prospect of a lasting existence.” – Sigmund Freud.
- “We do not randomly choose others. We only meet those that already exist in our subconscious. – Sigmund Freud.
- “The interpretation of dreams is the royal road to knowledge of the unconscious activities of the mind.” – Sigmund Freud.
- “The goal of all life is death.” – Sigmund Freud.
- “What an agonizing contrast there is between the radiant intelligence of the child and the feeble-mindedness of the average adult.” – Sigmund Freud.
- “Neurosis is the inability to tolerate ambiguity.” – Sigmund Freud.
- “The doctor must be opaque to his patients and, like a mirror, he must not show them more than what is shown to him”. – Sigmund Freud.
- “The voice of the intellect is soft, but it does not rest until it has been heard.” – Sigmund Freud.
- “Dreams are usually deepest when they seem craziest.” – Sigmund Freud.
- “The first human who threw an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization.” – Sigmund Freud.
- “Flowers are calm to look at. They have neither emotions nor conflicts.” – Sigmund Freud.
- “America is the greatest experiment the world has ever seen, but, I’m afraid, it’s not going to be a success.” – Sigmund Freud.
- “The mind is like an iceberg, it floats with a seventh of its volume above the water” -Sigmund Freud. – Sigmund Freud.
| We recommend: The best phrases about your mental health