Who hasn’t heard the name Coco Chanel? Whether you’re into haute couture, find interesting pieces on Etsy, or create unique DIY clothing, you can thank Coco. Here are some Coco Chanel quotes that never go out of style.
Not only was she a famous fashion designer, but she changed the whole fashion world with her opinion that fashion should first and foremost be comfortable. She was the one who said “enough” about corsets and whalebones.
She was also the first to design a shoulder bag, the famous 2.55. By then, women would be holding their wallets in their hands.
She also introduced two new fabrics into women’s fashion: the tweed for her costumes and the jersey, which until then was used for men’s underwear!
If you also know that, thanks to Coco Chanel, every woman now has the “little black dress” in her closet and that she has made pants acceptable for women, then one can safely say that today’s fashion would not be the same without Coco Chanel’s influence.
Her goal was to create classics and that’s what she did. Although we have left some things from the 50s in the past and the world of women and men has changed, Coco’s designs are still popular and never go out of style.
Such an interesting woman also had a lot to say and she was known for expressing her opinion openly and without hesitation. In this article, you will find the best collection of their statements and quotes.
The most famous and best quotes from Coco Chanel
1. Fashion creates beautiful things that will become ugly – art creates ugly things that will become beautiful.
2. Luxury must be comfortable, otherwise, it is not luxury.
3. Age does not matter. You can be gorgeous at twenty, charming at forty, and irresistible the rest of your days.
4. A man can wear whatever he wants, he always remains just the woman’s accessory.
5. I judge people according to their way of spending money and advise all women: Never marry a man with a wallet for change.
6. A décolleté is that fine line on which good taste balances without falling off.
7. The art of living is the art of omitting correctly. It starts with talking and ends with the cleavage.
8. In the past, women fought on their own soil. Every defeat was a victory. Today they fight on the men’s floor. Every victory is a defeat.
9. I am against fashion that is fleeting. I can’t accept throwing clothes away just because it’s spring.
10. Whoever wants to be irreplaceable has to be different above all else.
11. Beauty begins the moment you choose to be yourself.
12. If one was born without wings, one must not prevent them from growing.
13. The confident woman does not blur the difference between man and woman – she emphasizes it.
14. What a primitive thing is sex? If a woman is aiming only at sex, all she has to do is put a sack on herself and cut three holes in it; you already know where.
15. A woman can be delightful at 19, gorgeous at 29, but only at 39 is she absolutely irresistible. And no woman who was once irresistible will get older than 39!
16. Most women choose their nightgown more sensibly than their husbands do.
17. A room needs abundance, clothes don’t.
18. I have no regrets in life other than what I haven’t done.
19. Those who do not feel comfortable in their own company are usually quite right.
20. It is particularly difficult to remain silent when one has nothing to say.
21. I only drink champagne on two occasions. When I’m in love and when I’m not
22. I cannot understand that a woman can leave the house without making herself pretty. She could meet her fate on this very day.
23. How many worries do you lose when you choose not to be something but to be someone?
24. I don’t care what you think of me. I don’t think about you at all.
25. Luxury is not the opposite of poverty, but vulgarity. Luxury means a fabric coat with a silk lining or with fur, but on the inside. You throw the coat on a chair and the lining comes out. Otherwise not. The lady alone knows that she is wearing silk or fur. It does not need to be pointed out. That is luxury.
26. I lived my life assuming that whatever I didn’t like would surely have an opposite, something I liked.
27. A man can get used to an ugly woman, but never to a sloppy one.
28. Fashion is not something that only exists in clothing. Fashion is in the air, on the streets. Fashion has to do with ideas, with the way we live, with what happens.
29. I didn’t like my life, so I created my life.
30. There are two kinds of people: those who have money and those who are rich.
31. Women must learn again to make men curious about what they already know.
32. Because money is sinful, it must be squandered.
33. We women need beauty so that men love us, stupidity so that we love men.
34. Age does not protect against love, but love against aging.
35. Simplicity is the key to all true elegance.
36. Don’t waste time smashing walls hoping to turn them into a door.
37. Female nudity must be given to men with a teaspoon, not with a ladle.
38. Jewelry should not make one appear wealthy, but rather adorn. That’s why I always liked to wear the wrong jewelry.
39. When you know that most men are like children, you know everything.
40. It is not the successes that one learns from, but the fiascoes.
41. A woman who does not wear perfume has no future.
42. Fashion has become a joke. Designers forgot that there are women in clothes. Most women dress for men and want to be admired. But they also need to be able to move around to get into a car without bursting their seams! Clothing must have a natural shape
43. Even in the most beautiful dress, a woman thinks about how she will take it off for her beloved man.
44. Elegance is different from putting on a new outfit.
45. Fashion is fleeting. Never style.
46. If I were a man, and I would like to be one, I would despise today’s women. That unfeminine ambition, that disgusting business acumen.
47. Nature gives us the face we have when we are twenty. Life shapes the face we have when we are thirty. But we have to earn the face we have at fifty for ourselves.
48. Those who do not know that mistakes are inevitable will mostly succeed.
49. No living being in this world is ugly.
50th innovation! You can’t be innovative forever. I want to create classics.
51. Maturity counts for men, youth counts for women. That is the misfortune.
52. I do not make fashion, I am fashion.
53. Dress negligently and the dress will be remembered; dress flawlessly and the woman will be remembered.
54. A woman should dress every day as if she might meet her great love.
55. Great loves must also be endured.
56. Since everything is in our head, it is better not to lose it.
57. There is a time for work. And there is a time for love You don’t have more time.
58. The best things in life are free. The second best are really expensive.
59. The best color in the world is the one that looks good on you.
60. Meekness doesn’t do any job unless you’re an egg-laying hen.
61. Style is the lover of art.
62. Do not confuse the pleasure of pleasing with the miracle of love.
63. The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. According to.
64. A woman who cuts her hair will change her life.
65. No woman is too bad not to become the better half of a man.
66. A girl should be two things: elegant and fabulous.
67. I’ll put them all in black!
68. A fashion that you cannot see on the street is not a fashion.
69. Jewelry is not there to arouse envy – at best, amazement.
70. Elegance is denial.
71. No woman gets too cold in her most beautiful dress.
72. Two things a man will never understand: the secret of creation and a woman’s hat.
73. A well-cut dress suits every woman. Point!
74. It is probably no coincidence that I am alone. It would be very difficult for a man to live with me unless he is terribly strong. And if he’s stronger than me, I’m the one who can’t live with him … I’m neither smart nor stupid, but I don’t think I’m a normal person. I’ve been in business without being a businesswoman, I’ve loved without being a woman made out of love. I believe the two men I loved will remember me, on earth or in heaven, because men always remember a woman who caused them concern and anxiety. I’ve done my best about people and life, with no rules but with a sense of justice.
75. So that’s how you die. (Coco Chanel’s last words)
Wondering how you could take advantage of a quote from Coco Chanel? Choose one of her fashion quotes the next time you combine a great outfit and post it with your photo on your social media profiles 😉
Coco Chanel Quotes (her best quotes)
76. Dress like you are going to meet your worst enemy today.
77. In 1919 I woke up famous. I’d never guessed it. If I’d known I was famous, I’d have stolen away and wept. I was stupid. I was supposed to be intelligent. I was sensitive and very dumb.
78. Ask me who I don’t dress!
79. A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous.
80. I was a rebellious child, a rebellious lover, a rebellious couturière – a real devil.
81. Guilt is perhaps the most painful companion of death.
82. It is unseen, unforgettable, ultimate accessory of fashion that heralds your arrival and prolongs your departure.
83. Fashion is architecture. It is a matter of proportions.
84. Youth is something very new: twenty years ago, no one mentioned it.
85. There is nothing more comfortable than a caterpillar and nothing more made for love than a butterfly. We need dresses that crawl and dresses that fly. Fashion is at once a caterpillar and a butterfly, caterpillar by day, butterfly by night
86. A woman is closest to being naked when she is well dressed.
87. I have said that black has it all. White too. Their beauty is absolute. It is perfect harmony.
88. Look for the woman in the dress. If there is no woman, there is no dress.
89. If a man talks bad about all women, it usually means he was burned by one woman.
90. A woman has the age she deserves.
91. A style does not go out of style as long as it adapts itself to its period. When there is an incompatibility between the style and a certain state of mind, it is never the style that triumphs.
92. In fashion, you know you have succeeded when there is an element of upset.
93. Those who create are rare; those who cannot be numerous. Therefore, the latter is stronger.
94. Elegance is not the prerogative of those who have just escaped from adolescence, but of those who have already taken possession of their future.
95. I don’t know why women want any of the things men have when one of the things that women have is men.
96. There goes a woman who knows all the things that can be taught and none of the things that cannot be taught.