Are you looking for inspirational sayings and quotes from Nelson Mandela? Then you are exactly right here! Nelson Mandela is considered one of the most important freedom fighters. He campaigned with all his might against racial segregation and wanted people to be able to live together peacefully, regardless of the color of their skin. However, the government considered his involvement to be “sabotage & terror” and locked him in prison for 27 years. When public pressure became too great, he was released. Only a few years later he was elected the first black head of state in South Africa.
Through his resistance to apartheid he is also the decisive pioneer for an equality-oriented state in his country. In 1993 he received the Nobel Peace Prize.
Here I would like to put together the most important and valuable Nelson Mandela quotes and wisdom for you. Feel free to use them to inspire yourself and others for a peaceful coexistence in our society. Have fun!
My request: If you use a quote from Nelson Mandela on your website, I would be very happy if you linked to this elaborately compiled collection of sayings. Many thanks for your support!
31 inspirational quotes from Nelson Mandela
His activities and his indomitable will make Nelson Mandela a political and moral role model. As promised, below are the freedom fighter’s most important sayings.
Nelson Mandela Quotes 1 – 10
- “Success isn’t about where you start, it’s about how high you want to go.”
- “I never lose. Either I win or I learn.”
- “Education is the most powerful weapon to change the world.”
- “It is in the nature of things that one must learn from good and bad experiences in order to achieve maturity.”
- “Keeping yourself small doesn’t serve the world.”
- “What matters in life is not that we have lived. It’s how we’ve changed the lives of others.”
- “As long as poverty, injustice and inequality persist in the world, none of us can truly rest.”
- “Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising again every time.”
- “A winner is a dreamer who never gives up.”
- “If you want to see if you’ve changed, you should return to a place that hasn’t changed.”
Tip: If you are interested in quotes about change, I have put together a separate collection of sayings for you.
Nelson Mandela Quotes 11 – 20
- “Poverty associated with a lack of education. We must ensure that education reaches everyone.”
- “Difficulties break some men – and make others men.”
- “Caring genuinely for others, both in private and public life, would bring us much closer to the world we so long for.”
- “No one is born hating other people because of their skin color, race or religion. hate is learned. And if you can learn to hate, you can also learn to love. Because love is a much more natural feeling in a person’s heart than its opposite.”
- “It always seems impossible until it’s done.”
- “Anyone can surpass themselves and achieve something if they do it with dedication and passion.”
- “When we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
- “Being free is not just about untying yourself, but living a life that respects and promotes the freedom of others.”
- “A good head and a good heart are always an excellent combination.”
- “One must defend oneself against racism, with all means available to mankind.”
Nelson Mandela Quotes 21 – 31
- “It’s not the bullets and generals that make history, it’s the masses.”
- “If you want to make peace with your enemy, work with him. Then he becomes your partner.”
- “I have learned that courage is not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The courageous man is not one who is not afraid, but one who conquers fear.”
- “As I walked out of the cell through the door toward freedom, I knew I had to leave behind my bitterness and hate or I would be imprisoned for life.”
- “To deny a person his human rights is to disregard his humanity.”
- “I despise racism because I think it’s barbaric, whether it comes from a black or white person.”
- “Don’t judge me by my successes, but by the number of times I’ve fallen and gotten back up.”
- “Liberation from oppression is a human right and the ultimate goal of every free person.”
- “There’s nothing enlightening about shrinking so small that others around you don’t feel safe.”
- “When you climb a high mountain, you realize that there are many other mountains to climb.”
- “Sometimes a generation is called to do great things. You can be that generation.”
Can you think of any other Nelson Mandela quotes that I should definitely include here? Then please let me know your suggestions in the comments.
Use Nelson Mandela’s best sayings as a personal source of inspiration!
The South African activist and politician Nelson Mandela laid the foundation for peaceful coexistence of all people through his work against oppression and social injustice. I hope that you will feel inspired by his sayings listed here and carry their meaning to the world.
Finally, here are a few more related articleswho can make a valuable contribution to a more peaceful coexistence of us humans:
Do you have questions or suggestions? Or can you think of more wisdom from Nelson Mandela? I’m looking forward to your comment.