I learned from my father the love of reading. When I bought my apartment, I turned a room into a library and invited my father to meet him, after congratulating me, he commented: “There is a book missing from this library, one that is essential, the Bible.” Yes I do, I replied, only it’s always in the area where I retire to read it.
The Bible is not only a sacred book, it is a book that we can compare to a treasure, where each page is a jewel, each message has its special beauty and its moment in which it will be of great value to you, and the most important thing is God. who speaks to you
11 Reasons Why Read the Bible
These reasons will inspire you to start reading the Bible and continue searching and discovering all the jewels found in this incredible treasure. You will also learn the benefits that reading the Bible can bring to your life.
- It has the power to transform your life. Spiritual growth.
- Source of truth. The revelation of God to man.
- Grow in wisdom.
- Orientation source.
- To live a full and happy life, a life with purpose.
- Meet Jesus.
- By general culture
- to increase your faith
- Keep hope
- grow in love
- Know the power of prayer
The famous Spanish writer and politician, Emilio Castelar, commented on the Bible: “The Bible is the purest revelation that God exists.” Next, let’s see how the Bible supports the eleven reasons given.
1. It has power to transform your life. spiritual growth
The Bible is a self-help book, where you will find principles of spiritual growth, to grow from within. God’s priority is that you grow in body, soul and spirit, so that you are a successful and happy person.
To grow it is necessary to change and change is not easy, but the Bible tells us that “What is impossible with men is possible with God”. Spiritual growth is only achieved if you want to change, that is, it is your responsibility. When you decide to grow spiritually, God will be there to help you.
You must transform yourself with the truth that the Word of God gives you, in Hebrews 4:12 we read:
- “Because the word of God has life and power. It is sharper than any two-edged sword, and penetrates to the depths of the soul and spirit, to the most intimate of the person; and puts on trial the thoughts and intentions of the heart.”
When you manage to internalize each passage you read, when a true connection with each verse is achieved, and your acts and actions are in accordance with the Word of God, you will begin to feel inspired to grow spiritually, you begin to be born again, to grow and transform from inside.
It produces in you a rebirth, the Bible speaks of being born again, in 1 Peter 1:23, we read:
- “For you have been reborn, and this time not of human and mortal parents, but of the Word of God, which is living and permanent.”
Being born again implies starting to feed your mind with positive thoughts, distinguish which beliefs do not allow you to move forward and change them, acquire good habits, if you change your way of thinking you will begin to transform your life.
Continue reading “What does the Bible say about personal development?”
2. Source of truth, God’s revelation to man
By reading the Bible we come to know the truth. The truth leads us to the knowledge of all the realities in the universe, especially the reality of Christ.
The Bible is God’s revelation to man. In 2 Timothy 3:16 we read:
- “All Scripture is inspired by God and is helpful in teaching us what is true and making us see what is wrong in our lives. He corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right.
The Word of God has a purifying effect on our hearts, which is why it is beneficial to read it, as it says: John 17:17.
- «Sanctify them in the truth; your word is the truth”. and in Isaiah 8:20 we find:
- Seek God’s instructions and teachings! Those who contradict his word are in complete darkness.”
3. Grow in wisdom
The Bible teaches that wisdom is not exclusive to the great sages, we can all acquire wisdom. When you decide to grow spiritually and walk the path of good, you are growing in wisdom.
What is the purpose of acquiring wisdom? Let’s see what the Bible tells us:
Its purpose is to teach them to:
- «Acquire instruction, prudence, justice, rectitude and balance; Proverb 1:3
- make inexperienced young men sagacious, and give them knowledge and reflection. Proverb 1: 3,4.
- He who is wise and intelligent, listens to them, and thus acquires more wisdom and experience, Proverb 1: 5.
- to understand the sayings of the wise men, and their words, examples and riddles. Proverb 1: 3,6.
Note that each of the previous proverbs mentions the qualities that you must acquire, develop and apply in your life, to walk with wisdom.
As we grow in wisdom, you will notice that your ability to discern begins to improve. Let’s see what Proverbs 4:7,8,11 says about how you grow when you embrace wisdom:
- “Acquiring wisdom is the wisest thing you can do! And in everything else you do, develop good judgment.” Proverbs 4:7,
- “If you value wisdom, it will make you great. She embraces her, and she will honor you ». Proverbs 4:8
- “I will teach you the ways of wisdom and guide you on straight paths.” Proverbs 4:11,
It is by applying these teachings that you begin to be wiser every day. The book of Proverbs will help you understand what wisdom is, its scope, its benefits, and the importance of following those principles if you want to achieve it. It is full of practical advice that has to do with the day to day of each person.
Continue reading “Reflections on the Wisdom of King Solomon”
4. Guidance Source
We live a life with ups and downs. If everything is fine, excellent, but what happens when we feel fear and problems cause us stress, anxiety, insecurity. You begin to question yourself and wonder how to live without stumbling, or how to stumble without falling, how to get up without feeling hurt.
Let’s make a comparison: If you are going to camp at night in the forest, you will surely take a lamp to light you up and illuminate the path, otherwise you will feel a sense of fear, because of what there may be in the dark of the night. Sometimes in our lives the same thing happens to us, our mind becomes cloudy and we feel in total darkness. What do you need at that moment a lamp, a light to guide you, to help you calm your mind and your heart.
In Psalm 119:105, the psalmist declares saying:
- “Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path.”
The Bible can be your lamp, the light that shows you the way forward without stumbling, the source that will guide you to emerge victorious from situations that cause you stress, anxiety, fear, when you feel that your life is just problems.
When you decide to follow God’s advice, you will feel that you are not alone, that he will always be by your side to light the way. Let’s look at some verses:
- “The person of integrity faces many difficulties, but the Lord comes to the rescue each time.” Psalm 34:19.
- «My soul cries with anxiety; uphold me according to your word.” Psalm 119:28.
- “Keep me away from the path of lies and guide me with your teachings.” Psalm 119:29.
- «I am the one who commands you to have courage and firmness. Do not be afraid or discouraged because I, your Lord and God, will be with you wherever you go. Josue 1: 9.
- “Even when I pass through the darkest valley, I will not fear, because you are by my side. Your rod and your staff protect me and comfort me.” Psalm 23:4.
- “The teaching of the LORD is perfect, it comforts the spirit. What the LORD says in his covenant is sure, he helps the ignorant to become wise “. Psalm 19:7.
5. To live a full and happy life, a life with purpose
It is not easy to believe biblical advice when you live in a rationalistic world like ours. People seek a philosophy of life that supports the freedom of instincts, wanting to ignore all laws, even universal laws.
The Bible is a manual of life, when you begin to read it, you begin to understand what your purpose is.
In general, the human being does not like to be told what he should or should not do, the purpose of divine instruction is never to cut off anyone’s freedom. God only wants you to be happy and live a full life as a result of obeying his principles, but he leaves it to your free will.
What does the Bible say about following God’s advice:
- “My son, listen to me and do what I tell you, and you will have a good and long life.” Proverbs 4:10.
- “Stick to my instructions; don’t let them go. Take good care of them, because they are the key to life. Proverb 4:13
The divine instruction, which the Bible gives us, is not limited by time or by culture, or by scientific and technological advances, the principles of honesty, truth, respect for life, fidelity, are eternal and immutable, of it It depends on you living a full and happy life.
You must go to the Word of God, not the wisdom of the world to discover the purpose of your life. Romans 8:28 says:
- “In addition, we know that if we love God, he makes everything that happens to us work for our good. He has called us according to his purpose».
Jesus makes a call to make your life a life with purpose, growing every day towards being a better person, he calls it “born again”, which means changing your lifestyle.
6. Meet Jesus
The Bible is the holy book of Christianity. It is a set of books gathered in two testaments. The Old Testament, written before Christ. And the New Testament is the story of Christ and the development of Christianity.
If you want to know who Jesus Christ was, his life, Jesus the Teacher, the doctor, the promised Messiah, you must read the Bible. In the New Testament, in the gospels of Matthew, Luke, Mark and John, his life, passion, death and resurrection are revealed, these gospels will connect you with the Old Testament, which points to Jesus as the Messiah.
Every person longs to be happy and find solutions to their problems, but for that to happen they need the certainty of possessing the truth and advancing on the right path. The Bible in John 17:3 says:
- “And eternal life consists in knowing you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you sent”
To know God and have a relationship with him, we have to know Jesus. In John 14:6, we read:
- Jesus said to him: «I am the way, the truth and the life; no one comes to the Father except through me».
If we want to know God, to know the right path, to know the truth, the truth that leads to knowledge, and to learn how to correctly apply that knowledge, we must know Jesus.
Through Jesus you will achieve inner peace, not world peace, but peace in your heart. The message that Jesus left through the apostles before being crucified was:
- «Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; I do not give it to you as the world gives it. Do not let your heart be troubled and do not be afraid.” John 14:27.
7. By general culture
The Bible is considered to be the first book printed in the West. It began to be printed in the year 1450, but it was not until 1456 that it was published. It was also the first book to be translated into so many languages that today 95 percent of the population can read it. That gives you a reason to read the Bible, not as the main reason, but as a general culture.
The Bible brings the revelation of the existence of God as creator, the knowledge of all the realities in the universe, the origin of man, the history of humanity, through the prophecies given by the prophets and the apostles, you will know the history of the past, the reality of the things of the present age, of the age to come and of eternity, and in particular, the reality of the Christ whom God appointed.
It is interesting to read prophecies given by the prophets, warnings to the people of Israel and the consequences if they did not straighten their path, and how they were later fulfilled with extraordinary precision. It also gives revelations for the future, these are contained in the book of Revelation or Revelation. It is one of the most beautiful books, because it is full of good news and hope for all who believe and have accepted Christ in their hearts.
Contains remarkable scientific facts. In the Old Testament, we find data such as that the earth hangs in a vacuum, that the air has weight, that the number of stars is incalculable. These issues are studied thousands of years later by physicists and scientists, including Evangelista Torricelli, Isaac Newton, among others, and corroborate what is written in the Bible.
8. To increase your faith
Without faith there is no hope, the Bible defines faith as: «To have faith is to have the full security of receiving what is expected; it is to be convinced of the reality of things that we do not see». Hebrews 11:1.
We do not see God, we believe in him and in his promises, through Jesus and by Faith. In the Gospel of John, we find that Philip asks Jesus:
- “Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.” John 14:8.
- To which Jesus replies: “Philip, I have been with you so long, and you still don’t know me? He who has seen me, he has seen the Father; why do you ask me to let them see the Father?».
- “Actually, without faith it is impossible to please God, since anyone who approaches God has to believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.” Hebrews 11:6.
- “This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask according to his will, he hears us.” 1 John 5:14.
Continue reading “120 Christian phrases about faith in God”
9. Keep hope
There is a saying that “hope is the last thing you lose”, and that is that as long as there is hope there is life. Hope from the biblical point of view, is to have the confidence and security that the blessings and promises given by God will be fulfilled, in all those who believe in him. As the Bible says:
- “Because I know very well the plans I have for you,” affirms the Lord, “plans for well-being and not for calamity, in order to give you a future and hope.” Jeremiah 29:11.
- “May God who gives hope fill you with joy and peace who have faith in him, and give you abundant hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” Romans 15:13.
10. Grow in love
Faith, hope and love, the apostle Paul calls them the three virtues, mentions that there is no authentic love, without faith, or hope. Let’s look at some Bible verses about love:
- “Now, then, these three virtues remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love”. 1 Corinthians 13:13.
- Jesus said, “This new commandment I give to you, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you too should love one another.” John 13:34.
- «He who has love does no harm to his neighbor; so in love the law is fulfilled perfectly». Romans 13:10.
11. Know the power of prayer
Prayer is powerful, the Bible is full of stories of people who went to God in prayer to make their requests, God heard them and answered their prayers.
Use the Bible for your morning prayers and conversations with God, you can start with Psalms which are sources of inspiration, you will discover in them how the psalmists went through situations similar to what you may be going through.
God hears and answers all your prayers, as long as you have faith. The apostle James calls it the prayer of faith.
- «But you have to ask with faith, without doubting anything; because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, that the wind carries from one side to another». James 1:6.
- “And whatever you ask in faith when you pray, you will receive.” Matthew 21:22.
- “Do not worry about anything, but offer everything to God in prayer; ask him, and give him thanks also». Philippians 4:6.
Continue reading “Reflections on the power of prayer”
Why read the Bible every day
It is important to read the Bible every day, because the Bible is the source of our spiritual life, read and internalize the Word of God, and then put it into practice. If you are determined to grow spiritually and be wiser every day, make it a habit to read the Bible daily. There is a saying that “man does not live by bread alone”, that saying comes from the Bible, let’s see what it says exactly:
- But Jesus replied, “The Scripture says: ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but also by every word that proceeds from the lips of God.’ Matthew 4:4.
What you think you become, if you fill your mind with positive thoughts, you will sustain yourself in any situation, it is what happens when you read the Word of God, it immediately produces a thought in your mind, which is transformed into a feeling and this gives rise to to the decision.
Every day of our life is full of decision making, if your decisions come from God, they will be wise decisions. Look to the Bible for timely guidance to live wisely.
We have given you just a sample of why to read the Bible, there are many more reasons, and the great benefit is that treasuring the Word of God in your heart will lead you to live a lifestyle full of meaning.
Open your Bible and find divine answers for all aspects of your life, family, financial, professional. You will see the positive side of things, even if everything seems to be going from bad to worse, you will know that you are not alone, that there is a God who is always with you.
Note: The reference Bibles used in this article were: Reina Valera 1960. Reina Valera 2015. Dios Habla Hoy. The Bible of the Americas. The Latin American Bible. Word of God for everyone. New international version.