You don’t need to be a psychologist to learn the basics. The truth is that human psychology is related to every aspect of our lives.
Interesting psychological facts about humans can be very exciting, surprising, and entertaining. When you understand how the human mind works and what shapes our behavior, you can better understand yourself and the people around you. You will be able to make better decisions and behave more intelligently with people, ignoring stressful situations. You will be able to better manage your time, improve relationships, and achieve your goals.
Want to know why you think or feel in a certain way? Or why do your friends sometimes behave strangely? In fact, it’s all in our heads! When we understand the psychology behind our behavior, actions, and reactions, we will understand how truly amazing and unique our brains are. Getting to know some of the most interesting facts about human psychology can shock you at some points.
Interesting Facts About Human Psychology
1. The smarter a person is, the more often he is not sure of his own beliefs.
2. If after communicating with a specific person you experience negative emotions and feel an unpleasant aftertaste – you were dealing with a toxic person.
3. A signature can tell a lot about a person. For example, the larger your signature, the higher your self-esteem.
4. When the company bursts into laughter, everyone looks at who they like best.
5. By addressing people by their name, you dispose them more towards yourself and increase the degree of confidence in your own person.
6. 80% of people meet their future spouses at the age of 16.
7. Most of us suffer from phantom vibration syndrome: the mobile phone seems to vibrate when in fact the device does not make a sound.
8. It only takes a person 4 minutes to fall in love.
9. According to the law of polarity, opposites attract: we are inevitably attracted to people with opposite qualities.
10. The wiser a person is, the less often he gives advice. (Be on the lookout for people who give you too many unsolicited recommendations.)
11. Our hearts have nothing to do with feeling “in love”, it is just a chemical reaction in the brain.
12. Finding your true calling requires action. Follow your beliefs and they will lead you to your goal.
13. Our brain has a negative bias and tends to remember bad memories more than pleasant ones.
14. If you dwell on problems, there will be more problems. When you focus on opportunities, more opportunities will appear.
15. You make a lasting first impression within 5 seconds on the following points: how you look, how you speak, and what you say
16. A good way to focus and focus is to mentally talk to yourself as you complete an assignment.
17. People who regularly help others are significantly happier and less likely to become depressed as they get older.
18. People who walk fast are usually more confident and happy than those who walk at a slow pace.
19. A woman will only argue with someone she really cares about. Less controversy means less interest.
20. Energetic music stimulates brain waves, which improve concentration even after you stop listening to it.
21. Dog owners laugh more often than cat owners and people who do not have pets.
22. If you expect something in return for your noble deeds, you are far from a good person.
23. People who tend to be in the clouds are usually better at dealing with difficult problems.
24. We are subconsciously more attracted to people who have the same musical taste.
25. You are more likely to achieve your goals if you keep them to yourself.
26. Lying requires more mental effort than truth. When telling lies, we involuntarily wonder whether it will correspond to our common “legend”, and also worry about the influence of even the smallest lie on our lives, relationships, and authority. Honesty, on the other hand, has almost no negative consequences.
27. Watching a heartbreaking movie makes people think deeper: Research at Ohio State University has shown that watching a tragedy movie makes people think more seriously about their lives and relationships.
28. People who think they are being watched tend to behave better: as a rule, the presence of “others” encourages us to do the “right” things in order to gain “social” acceptance and approval.
29. Waking up on the wrong side of the bed affects our happiness. A 2011 study found that those who sleep on the left side (when standing at the foot of the bed) are happier than those who sleep on the right.
30. Placebos can have the same effect as real treatments. Recent studies have shown that the placebo effect can lead to real biological changes, a fact that could turn the world of medicine upside down.
31. People need only one thing to be happy – to focus on what they have at the moment, and not worry about what they do not have or may never have.
32. Often the best way to attract someone is to stop paying attention to them.
33. Never worry that someone does not love you for who you are. Because there will always be someone who, for the same reason, will love you.
4. Often people do not listen in order to understand – they are waiting for their turn to speak.
35. People with low self-esteem tend to humiliate others.
36. Those who play video games are much more likely to have lucid dreams.
37. Mental activity also burns calories.
38. Death is the second thing that people are most afraid of. And the first is the fear of failure.
39. Chocolate and shopping are more addictive than drugs.
40. Women with higher IQs have a harder time finding a partner.
41. People look more attractive when they talk about things that are really interesting to them.
42. The average time women can keep a secret is 48 hours.
43. When someone cries with happiness, the first tear falls from the right eye. Tears of pain tend to flow from the left.
44. 95% of the time people say they want to ask a question, you’re running through all the bad things you’ve done recently.
45. Smart people tend to underestimate themselves, while the ignorant think they are great.
46. Writing down negative things and throwing them in the trash can is a psychological trick that can improve your mood.
47. Once you accept your flaws, no one can use them against you.
48. When you stop communicating with unnecessary people, good things will begin to happen in your life, and it will not be a coincidence.
49. People’s favorite topic is themselves. Therefore, if you want to please someone, talk about their person.
50. You can die from a broken heart. This is called broken heart syndrome.
51. Brain activity continues even when we are resting. At this moment, there is a filtering of what really needs to be stored in memory, and what should be removed “in reserve”. When you wake up in the morning, you will never forget what is really important to you, but you will not remember what you stopped your attention on yesterday.
52. A person feels more successful and happy only when his brain is busy with something. Moreover, the gray matter is not interested in monotonous work – it is just about the constant fuss of concentration and switching from one job to another. Only in such moments does a person feel happy.
53. You cannot ignore food, sex, and dangers. Have you noticed that people always stop to look at the accident scenes? In fact, we cannot ignore the dangerous situation. Each person has a special part of the brain that is responsible for survival and asks: “Can I eat this? Can you have sex with this? Could it kill me? “.
54. Researchers have proved that if in his youth a person knew how to give up what he really wanted, life trials are given easier and with minimal losses.
55. In order to get used to something, you need no more than 2 months, or rather 66 days. It is such a period that a person will need in order to form and bring any action to automatism. For example, if you want to switch to proper nutrition, then you may need a little less – about 55 days. But it will take longer to get used to sports – up to 75 days.
56. If you think that you can have an unlimited number of friends, you are deeply mistaken. It turns out that a person can be friends up to 150 times in his entire life.
57. There are times when you want to please the girl by giving a gift, but do not know what she needs. There is a solution! Tell her that you bought a gift and offer to guess what it is. She will list what she wants.
58. If you have nightmares at night, you may be cold in your sleep. Scientific fact – the colder it is in the bedroom, the more likely you are to have a bad dream.
59. Even positive experiences, such as graduating from university, getting married, or a new job, can lead to depression.
60. The best remedy for worries, anxiety, and stress is reading. This activity has a faster effect on the body. Surprisingly, this method is much better than drinking alcohol, much more effective than walking, drinking tea, or listening to music.
61. In psychology, there is a principle: the more expectations about an event, the higher the likelihood of crushing disappointment. The more you wait, the less you get, the less you wait, the more you get.
62. Most people in an unfamiliar place keep to the right. If you do not want to be in the crowd or stand in line for a long time, then knowing this fact, feel free to go to the left or take the line that is to the left.
63. According to the observations of experts, people with blue eyes can fall in love in just a few minutes, and people with brown eyes can love two at the same time. It takes a long time to fall in love with green-eyed people, sometimes it takes years. People with all colors can fall in love in just an hour.
64. It is interesting that a person remembers good grades many times better than bad ones. With a probability of 89% people will remember the mark “5” and only 29% – the mark “3”. As a consequence, it seems that the score was higher than it actually was.
65. It is interesting that referees in sports often punish those teams whose uniforms are black. This is confirmed by the statistics conducted by the NHL, FIFA.
66. It is a well-known fact that women, being in a clothing store, focus more on the shelf and hangers, on which disorder reigns. Subconsciously, it seems to them that it is there that there is something better, more interesting.
67. The whole sphere of psychological factors and techniques is used by shops. For example, duplicate items at the checkout, promotions, and price tags in different colors. If you write on the price tag instead of “Socks – $ 2.” – “STOCK! 5 pairs of socks – $ 10 »Sales can be increased by exactly half.
68. Residents of Southeast Asia, primarily the Chinese, often observe Koro syndrome – a mental pathology when a person thinks that his penis is shrinking or being pulled into the stomach. In this case, the “patient” is seriously afraid of the onset of death. This is a cultural feature of the Asians, since cases of Koro syndrome in Africans or Europeans are usually not accompanied by the fear of death. Often, as part of self-medication, men hang some weight from their penis to stop retraction.
69. If the glass is broken in a house, then soon not a single whole window will remain in it, and then looting will begin – this is the main idea of the theory of broken windows. In a broader sense, this theory is that people are much more willing to violate the rules and norms of behavior if they see clear signs of disorder around – this has been experimentally proven many times.
70. People are reluctant to contradict a calm, balanced person. On the contrary, when someone fiercely and aggressively defends his opinion, they will resist him and will argue with him.
Interesting Psychological Facts About Human You Should Know
1. We daydream 30 percent of the time.
Have you ever read one sentence several times to figure out what the point is? This is because 30 percent of our time is spent dreaming and thinking about memories. This is valuable wasted time not focusing on important tasks.
2. Reflections on progress motivate us
We can be easily motivated simply by imagining that we are progressing towards a specific task or goal. By thinking that you have made some progress, you can motivate yourself to move forward more energetically and faster to achieve your goals.
3. We cannot maintain more than 150 relationships.
Relationships are hard. Imagine maintaining 150 meaningful connections. Do you agree? No matter how many social media friends you have, in real life, we cannot maintain more than 150 social connections at a given time.
4. Organized events can make us a team player
When different people participate in social activities, these people will cooperate more, not only in that activity, but also in subsequent activities and tasks. They will not hesitate to make even personal sacrifices to improve the team.
5. We have limited ability to learn new things
At any given time, we can only remember 3 to 4 new things. We need to constantly update new data and information in our brain in order to remember them for a long period of time. This is why we cannot remember someone’s name immediately after meeting him.
6. We see only what we want to see
Our brains are often unable to process all the information we are exposed to, we tend to lose sight of what we consider unimportant. Through this inattention, we are missing out on some obvious information as we are focused on something more important to us.
7. Primitive thoughts dominate our brains
Thanks to evolution, our brains are primarily concerned with food, sex, and safety. Since we are governed by the instincts of self-preservation and reproduction, the first things we focus on are food, finding a mate, and avoiding danger. This is why advertising focuses primarily on these three elements to get us to buy their products.
8. Our subconscious mind knows better
Have you ever wondered why our gut instincts are so strong and why sometimes things turn out better when we follow them? This happens because our subconscious often knows what is best for us, and much earlier than our consciousness realizes it. This is why decisions based on intuition or instinct are often better than conscious and informed decisions.
9. Learning is an addiction
One of the most interesting psychological facts is that we are programmed to seek new information and learn as much as possible, even if there is no practical purpose for it. We are always forced to seek information because of the wellness hormones released by the neurotransmitter dopamine. This is why we are addicted to social media and instantly open up the Internet to learn about everything that pops into our minds.
10. Lazy people are happy people
People who seem lazy are often content with what they have, since these people have adequate thinking. Therefore, they feel more satisfied and happier with their choice. On the other hand, people who believe in getting the most out of every opportunity tend to be dissatisfied with life because they believe they could do more.
11. Our memories change over time
Each time you remember a particular memory, it changes slightly in your mind. Every time we remember a particular event from the past, we subtly and subconsciously change it a little, based on our moods and feelings. This is why people tend to have different memories of the same event.
12. If we talk more, we will laugh more.
You may think that you are laughing when you hear a super funny joke, but in fact, you will laugh even harder when you tell the same joke. Research has shown that speakers laugh 46 percent more often than listeners. This is why people laugh at their own jokes, even if it’s not funny.
These were some of the most interesting psychological facts about humans that can help you better understand yourself and others.
Some More Short Interesting Facts About Human Psychology
1. The best advice often comes from the people who are facing the most difficult problems.
2. Good morning and good night text messages activate a certain part of our mind that makes us happy.
3. You will be happier when you face your fears.
4. You will feel lonely if you try to make everyone else happy, as you will ignore your own happiness.
5. You will need less sleep when you are happy in life.
6. The chance of divorce is reduced by 70 percent when we marry our best friend.
7. If you speak multiple languages, then your personality will change subconsciously along with the language you speak.
8. Research shows that good relationships are more important than exercise for a longer life.
9. Love and cocaine have almost the same neurological effects on our minds.
10. People who volunteer to achieve their goals are happier than those who don’t.
11. Opposites attract – this is a myth. We are usually attracted to someone who thinks, behaves, and looks like us.
12. Nearly 80 percent of people tend to complain about something when communicating with a group of people.
13. We attach great importance to people who ignore us and ignore people who pay attention to us.
14. Stress and anxiety are mostly the result of over-thinking about problems that don’t even exist in reality.
15. Spending time with people who are generally happy will make you happier in life.
16. Contrary to popular belief, the human brain is not good at multitasking.
17. We defend ourselves against certain ideas because we ourselves are not sure of them.
18. Research shows that your phobias are memories that were passed down through your DNA by your ancestors.
19. Rejection and physical pain are perceived in the same way by the human brain.
20. Late-night conversations are more honest as we tend to confess more when we get tired.
21. We feel happier when we are doing some kind of work or in general, because we cannot indulge in negative thinking for a long time.
22. If you have a complete Plan B in place, chances are high that your original plan will fail.
23. You will need more than five positive actions or situations to overcome one negative action or situation.
Isn’t it great to learn so many interesting psychological facts? This is because your brain is looking for new information. Remember? You can now use them to better understand yourself and your behavior and interact with others in a smarter way.