How many people build monogamous relationships, so much cheating in these relationships flourishes. Therefore, in society there are many stereotypes about this. For example, that all men cheat, that women are more prone to fidelity, and so on.
No so li eto na samom dele? What do the statistics say and what studies have been done by psychologists? Are you listening to these stereotypes?
Who cheats more: men or women?
This Question is of concern not only to spouses who doubt the fidelity of their soul mates, but also to sociologists and psychologists from different countries.
It is quite difficult to derive accurate statistics, because the attitude towards betrayal in society has always been negative, and not everyone is ready to answer such questions truthfully.
The anonymity of surveys does not help in this regard either, since it is difficult for people to admit to treason not only to others, but, first of all, to themselves.
Another problem is that people interpret the concept of “treason” differently. Followed by Elite Daily “100 People Reveal What They Consider To Be Cheating In A Relationship”, as of December 2016:
- 75% considered text flirting cheating;
- 61% you are, because your heart and soul to the drug, because you are not aware of it – it is because of you;
- 85% of people thought that dinner with an attractive colleague of the opposite sex is not considered cheating;
- 56% don’t know what to do with the partner’s needs, so it’s not that common in the Druze region.
At the same time, more and more anxiety in people, regardless of gender, began to cause not only physical connections on the side, but also emotional ones.
One of the most reliable anonymous surveys on how often partners cheat on each other was conducted in 2019 by the British company BBC. They interviewed men and women in their 30s and 40s. As the results showed, 70% of men admitted to cheating on their soul mates.
By the way, women’s infidelity is not far behind men’s. 65% of women admitted to cheating on their partners at least once.
In 2015, the Levada Center sociological organization conducted its own survey on cheating. As the results showed, 45% of men do not see anything wrong with being married, having a love for themselves. And again, women are not far behind – 30% are also in favor.
Official statistics for Russians for 2020 – 75% of men admitted that they cheated on their second time at least once.
Three types of men do not cheat on their wives
Should you rely on statistics?
- experience fear of the unknown – for example, a girl wants to know how many chances that her husband will cheat on her and it costs her;
- they want to understand that it’s not about them – it’s important for a wife whose husband has already cheated on her to realize that the problem is not that something is wrong with her, just infidelity is common to all men.
Whatever the reason, the problem is that the statistics don’t help you figure out if a man is cheating on you. Possibly the statistic is not intended for the factors, such as:
- the quality of family relationships;
- the length of the marriage;
- satisfaction of psychological needs in a couple;
- moral values and attitudes of each of the spouses;
- the presence or absence of their intimate life, as well as its quality;
- the predominance of positive or negative emotions when communicating with spouses;
- the original purposes for which people entered into marriage;
- the ability of spouses to trust each other in principle;
- what do spouses mean by cheating.
For example, the 2015 study “Her support, His Support: Money, Masculinity, and Marital Infidelity” conducted by the American Sociological Association found that even the financial dependence of one of the spouses affects the number of infidelities.
Interestingly, the one who is dependent on the spouse is more prone to treason than the one who is responsible for financial security. This is especially true for men who are provided by their wives.
The more a man invests in the family budget, the less likely he is to go left. However, this statistic only works up to a certain threshold. A man is more likely to be faithful if he:
- earns more than his wife;
- but provides no more than 70% of the family budget.
When he exceeds this threshold, then, according to the study, the chance that he can change his mind increases dramatically.
Since there are many different factors that affect the fidelity or infidelity of partners, any statistics can be contradictory, unreliable, and, even more so, they will not tell you anything about your own husband.
The only thing that statistics can say is that not all husbands cheat on their wives. No, whether one particular husband will cheat on his wife – the statistics are silent about this.
Why do men cheat?
Instead of relying on statistics, it’s better to focus on the quality of your relationship. Soglasno published in the “Journal of Sex Research” results, the same as for the chosen ones:
- sexual dissatisfaction in marriage;
- the desire to take revenge on the partner for the offense inflicted on them;
- lack of love, attention, care on the part of the spouse or spouse, failure to fulfill their obligations;
- a feeling of boredom, a desire to experience new vivid impressions, which, apparently, were not enough in marriage;
- random or “convenient” moments – holidays, corporate parties, alcohol intoxication, and so on.
According to experts from the University of Queensland, there is another reason for infidelity – genes. This was proved by a study in 2014, the results of which were published in the American scientific journal “Evolution and Human Behavior”.
According to the results of these studies, it was revealed that people who are prone to cheating have a certain type of genes that are responsible for the receptors for the hormones vasopressin and oxytocin. They were found in 62% of men who cheat on their significant other.
Perhaps that is why even love does not always guarantee fidelity in marriage, and regardless of gender.
Are you here? Probably not. As there is no guarantee that this betrayal will happen.
The more spouses pay attention to each other, the more psychological closeness and care between them, the less likely they are to face infidelity.
To do this, it is important to be able to recognize your needs, accept the fact that not all of them are satisfied in marriage, talk about it to your spouse and together look for ways to fix it, and not hide or hush up problems, bringing relationships to indifference.